No-cost energy savings ideas
Take Control & Save has 19 excellent energy-saving tips that you can view or download at www.takecontrolandsave.coop/Resources.aspx.
Here are 10 that will not cost you a cent to do:
- Set your water heater temperature no higher than 120 degrees;
- Limit your shower to under 5-7 minutes;
- Set the refrigerator temperature to 34-37 degrees and freezer to 0-5 degrees;
- Only do full laundry and dishwasher loads;
- Keep your outdoor heat pump/air conditioner unit clean;
- Set your thermostat to a minimum of 78 degrees in summer and maximum of 68 in winter;
- Close fireplace dampers when not burning a fire and open when burning a fire;
- Make sure vents are not blocked by furniture or drapes;
- Wash clothes in cold water; and
- Use the air-dry cycle on the dishwasher rather than heat-dry.