Be Storm Smart
Be Storm Smart. Are You Prepared? Promoting electrical safety is always in season - and a smart thing to do. As winter storm season approaches, Mid-Missouri electric cooperatives have gone a step further, launching the Be Storm Smart initiative and website for storm preparedness.
The initiative includes web-based resources for storm kit preparation, generator safety and power line safety, video links for storm safety and "Kid's Page" resources for youth. It also includes things families can do to be prepared before a storm, and be safe during and after a storm.
"It's important to Be Storm Smart all year long," says Safety Coordinator Doug Bagby. "Being prepared is an ongoing task. There are things every member of the family can do to help," he adds. "The more we rely on electricity for health, safety, communication and learning, the more important it is for all family members to know what to do."
Proactive steps to consider before a storm threatens include:
- Prepare a storm kit with essential supplies, home escape routes, family meeting places and plans to care for pets
- Prepare a storm kit for your car; include mobile device chargers
- Keep your family's mobile devices (phones, tablets, laptops) charged and ready to use if the power goes out
- Have a backup plan, such as an alternate location or generator, to assist family members who rely on electricity-powered medical assistant devices
- Keep an up-to-date list of emergency numbers where every family member can find it; place emergency numbers in your cell phone contact list
- Learn how to use the manual release lever on your electric garage door opener; keep a home
- key backup for electronic keypad entries
- Protect sensitive electric equipment with surge protection devices
- Store extra copies of vital documents in two separate locations.
Contact the Cuivre River Electric Member Services Department to request a "Be Storm Smart" brochure at (800) 392-3709.