Annual Business Meeting
Absentee voting now open for board election
Absentee voting for this year’s Cuivre River Electric Cooperative Board of Directors election is now underway.
Absentee voting opened June 27 and will close Aug. 7. Members may also vote in person Friday, Aug. 10, during the Annual Meeting at the Family Arena in St. Charles.
New this year, members who cast an absentee vote will be entered into a drawing for free electricity. The names of five winners will be drawn, with the top prize to be a $1,500 bill credit. Two members will receive a $500 bill credit, while two others will each be presented a $250 bill credit. The winners will be announced at the Annual Meeting.
These prizes are in addition to the traditional attendance prizes awarded at the Annual Meeting. Absentee voters may still attend the Annual Meeting and are eligible to win attendance prizes unless they have already won an absentee voting prize.
In 2017, approximately 1,400 online votes were cast and cooperative leaders expect that number to climb.
“We hope many more Cuivre River members take advantage of the quick and easy online absentee voting process,” Manager of Administrative Services Kevin Hurd said. “The participation and empowerment of our member-owners to engage in the democratic process of electing directors makes CREC stronger and better prepared to meet the future needs of its members.”
The voting process is handled by the independent firm of Survey and Ballot Systems (SBS), based in Eden Prairie, Minn.
To vote online, members should visit www.directvote.net/crec/ on or after June 27. They will need their member number and the ZIP code that appears in their billing address. An email notice and a link to the online ballot site will be sent to members with a valid email address on file.
To request an absentee ballot by mail, call 952-974-2339 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays or email email@example.com.
The request for paper ballots should be made by July 31 to allow time for mail delivery.
Members who wish to vote online but do not have access to a computer can visit a Cuivre River office, located at 1112 E. Cherry St. in Troy and 8757 Highway N in Lake Saint Louis.
Member identification is required. The lobby hours for each office are weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Candidate bios can be viewed at the online voting site and will be published in the August edition of the Current Times.
About the voting process
- If a member requests a paper ballot but decides to vote online instead, they should not mail in their ballot.
- No ballots should be mailed or brought to Cuivre River offices, or brought to the Annual Meeting. A postage-paid envelope will be included with paper ballots, directing ballots to Cuivre River c/o Survey and Ballot Systems.
- SBS must receive mailed absentee ballots by the close of business Aug. 7. Online absentee voting ends at 11:59 p.m. on Aug. 7.
- Should members encounter a problem while voting, they should call 952-974-2339 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Support is available 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on weekdays.
- Cuivre River bylaws permit one ballot per membership, regardless of the number of names on an account, meters associated with an account, or the amount of energy purchased.
- Ballots may not be requested or cast by a person who is not registered on the account, such as a family member or a neighbor.
- Absentee ballots are not accepted at the meeting, but members who vote absentee may still attend the event.